Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Developmental Thumbnails 6 - 8



I chose this particular thumbnail that I had designed to develop because I liked the perspective that it created, however I thought the ruined buildings made the area look as though it was a scene from a war film, or an alien invasion which might make the audience view the book in the wrong way. I was trying to capture the sense of decay, and crumbling walls of the building, but I felt I had exaggerated a bit. So I went on to edit  it on Photoshop. I started off by widening the canvas size to create more buildings and depth.


Phil's Photoshop  lessons came in handy when creating this image, by blocking in shapes to start off with then adding in detail, tone and shading later on. I made use of the tool presets we were told to use, I found that the 'blocking brush' helped me create shapes easily and the 'airbrush dodge' brush helped me create an atmospheric tone as shown in the background.


This is my last developmental image of this thumbnail that I have created so far. At this stage of development I started looking back the book excerpts for inspiration. A quote had inspired me which was used  to describe the area of the street of crocodiles, 'Everything was grey there, as if in black and white photographs or in cheap illustrated catalogues'. The words cheap illustration reminded me of drawings of which was unfinished, with minimum detail and half drawn bulidings. I generally like this effect within illustration, which reminded me of other illustrative methods like drawn images dripping as if they were created with ink or paint (expresses the cheap style to the drawing-rather than the page absorbing the ink/paint, it runs down it) which I tried to create in this image. I think this style of drawing suits the description of the area, It reflects upon the real and unreal elements in the story as the buildings seem faded as if it was seen in a memory or a dream, its as though this thumbnail reflects upon the process of your brain of creating and imagining an environment. which suggests the unreal, dream like nature of the book.

1 comment:

  1. wow - love that middle photoshop thumbnail - very expressive! Something to thing about however in finessing your world. Consider Schulz' nationality to avoid generic buildings and detail; check out image references for Polish ghettos during the 2nd world war, for example - I think you need to fold in some real world reference to heighten your understanding of this world, and how you might translate that into the final images.

    ReplyDelete